Nilesh P. Patel
In 2013, Patel was inducted as a Wisconsin Law Foundation Fellow. That same year, he was elected as the District 9 (Dane County) representative on the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Board of Governors (“BOG”). As part of the BOG, he was the liaison to the Labor and Employment Law Section and to the Communications Committee. From 2007 – 2013, Patel was a member of the State Bar’s Communications Committee, serving as its Chair from 2010 – 2013. From 2003 – 2008, he served on the Diversity Outreach Committee.
Other community service includes being on the Executive Committee and as the Affirmative Action Officer for the Board of Directors of the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin, as Treasurer of the Wisconsin Asian Bar Association, and as an election observer in two national elections.
Patel is a frequent speaker and writer on Labor and Employment Law topics. He has published two articles in the Wisconsin Lawyer Magazine, has developed and taught a Preventive Employment Law course at the University of Wisconsin Law School, has been a featured blogger for In Business Magazine, and has presented at the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Solo and Small Firm Conference.
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2002
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., 1995
- Wisconsin Law Foundation, Fellow, inducted 2013.
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Board of Governors. 2013 – 2014.
- REACH a Child, Advisory member. 2012 – 2014.
- ACLU of Wisconsin, Board member and Affirmative Action Officer. 2011 – 2014.
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Communications Committee. 2007 – 2013.
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Diversity Outreach Committee. 2003 – 2008.
- Society of Human Resources Management (national and Greater Madison Area).
Publications & Comments
- Obamacare ruling means corporations can practice religion and deny contraception coverage.
- Obamacare compliance tips for employers.
- Same-sex couples’ workplace rights after DOMA’s (partial) demise.
- Things not to say or do when dealing with a pregnant employee.
- Your employment contracts are not the place for a scavenger hunt.
- Starting May 7, a new form required for all employers.
- Labor Law in Limbo.
- Deportation Deferred: Risks to Undocumented Youths and Employers.
- Telecommuting boo-hoos at Yahoo!
- Work is a battlefield when small business owners romance an employee.
- Court rules NLRB has no power.
- A closer look at the 7th Circuit Court’s Act 10 ruling.
- EEOC’s strategic enforcement plan for 2013-16.
- Did Wisconsin just recognize public sector collective bargaining as a fundamental right?
- Preventing gun violence in the workplace.
- The NLRB wants companies to clean up their employment handbooks.
- Doing business with City of Madison now means providing equal benefits for domestic partners.
- In workers’ compensation disputes, treat the independent physician’s report with care.
- Is pay inequality more affordable at the state level? It doesn’t matter – 7 steps for avoiding equal pay problems.
- In Your Facebook – Do Employers Have The Right?
- Can I Fire An Employee For Political Activity?
- Is Concealed Carry Justified In The Workplace?
- Maintaining Diversity Efforts In This Economy.
- Law Practice Toolkit – The Wisconsin Lawyer’s Guide To A Better Law Practice.
- When Lovebirds Split: Dividing The Retirement Nest Egg At Divorce – Properly Dividing Pension Benefits.
- ‘Social Media Traps and the Workplace’ and ‘Employment Law and Human Resources Basics for Law Firms’, 2013 Wisconsin Solo and Small Firm Conference, October 24 – 26, 2013.
- Update on the Affordable Care Act, Get Moving Middleton – Middleton Chamber of Commerce, October 3, 2013.
- Health Care Reform/ACA, Payroll Solutions, September 24 – 25, 2013.
- Wellness Programs and compliance under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, GMA SHRM Toolbox, August 13, 2013.
- Protecting Your Non-Profit From Employment Law Traps, Center for Change, January 23, 2013.
- Deferred Immigration Action for Childhood Arrivals: Implications for Your Clients, Wisconsin and Beyond, James E. Doyle American Inn of Court, January 16, 2013.
- Ask an Expert – Innovations in HR, InBusiness Expo & Conference, October 17, 2012.
- Workplace Social Media Traps, Middleton Chamber of Commerce, August 2, 2012.
- Wisconsin Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company’s Summer CLE seminar, July 19, 2012. Presentation available here: Video 1 and Video 2 courtesy of WILMIC.
- Getting Ready for Veterans In the Workforce – Guidance for Career Counselors and Employers, WI-ACE Conference, May 8, 2012.
- Ask the Expert – Employee Handbooks. Middleton Chamber of Commerce, April 18, 2012.